Breeding the Future
The 8th Southern African Plant Breeding Symposium was held at Spier Wine Estate, Stellenbosch, from 15 to 17 March, 2010.
SAPBA decided on the theme “Breeding the Future” to stress the importance of the plant breeding industry not only in Southern Africa but also in the world. Internationally, there is a growing concern about the small number of plant breeders entering the profession and mid-career breeders moving out of the profession while globally, the pressure on sustainable crops is growing.
Apart from the symposium, a full-day workshop for all stakeholders in plant breeding was held on March 15. The aim of this workshop was to design future solutions for the industry. All stakeholders, including training institutions, funders and potential employers (private and public) were invited to attend.
Symposium Booklet (Download - 182mb)
- Sandra Clelland - South Africa (Download CV - pdf 311k)
- Bill Dvorak - USA (Download CV - pdf 24k)
- Francois Eudes - Canada (Download CV - pdf 84k)
- Hennie Groenewald - South Africa (Download CV - pdf 122k)
- Dieter Mulitze - Canada (Download CV - pdf 150k)
- JD Rossouw - Singapore (Download CV - pdf 206k)
- Brian Steffenson - USA (Download CV - pdf 513k)
- Kerry Taylor - South Africa (Download CV - pdf 268k)
- Ken Tobutt - UK (Download CV - pdf 234k)
- Richard Trethowan - Australia (Download CV - pdf 47k)
- Joanne van Harmelen - South Africa (Download CV - pdf 627k)